After getting to grip with how the PL-606 works and checking some local frequencies I started searching the band. The low end of the band was sounding fairly normal and all the frequencies I normally hear were coming in loud and clear, it was not until I hit around 945kHz that I started to log some new stations, this continued until the top of the band. In the end I logged 12 new Australian stations, not a bad effort for an hour.
Once I reached the top of the band I started working my way back down when on 1386kHz I could hear a weak signal, this frequency is not used in Australian at all and it was not bleed over from any other frequency, the programming also didn't sound like anything I had ever heard. I checked my NZ medium wave frequency list and found a station name for this frequency. At this point I moved in to a different room and I was able to get clear enough audio to be able to understand what was being said. A quick check of their webpage with an online stream and I can confirm my first international DX catch on medium wave :)
Overall it was a very enjoyable couple of hours and my first international DX catch was icing on the cake. My Tecsun PL-606 and loop aerial really worked well and I can see myself logging many more stations with them.