Sunday, 17 November 2013

Out’n About Ultralight Radio DXing - Brady’s Lookout - 16/11/2013

On Saturday the 16th of November 2013 I undertook my first serious ”Out’n About Ultralight Radio DXing” session at Brady’s lookout which is on the Western side of the Tamar River about 17Km from the city of Launceston.

I arrived on site at about 6:25am local time and after negotiating a fallen tree on the track to the top, I found myself overlooking the Tamar River from this excellent location. I setup my camera and took some photos and a short video (see below) before getting in to the purpose of my little session.

From a radio point of view I logged 16 medium wave stations; the furthest being 2EA Newcastle on 1413 kHz. While I didn’t log any really distant or rare stations I was happy with the results and this was a good chance to test this location in preparation for a night time session sometime in the future.

A couple of things which I learnt from this session will help me greatly in the future.
- This location no longer has a seat or table near the top; these have been removed since I was last up there a few years ago. In the future I will be sure to bring a folding chair with me.  I may also look at bring a small folding table with me.
- The case I purchased last week to store / carry my radios is not suitable for this type of use. I had the lid blow away which I had to chase after and I lost two batteries which feel out of it. I have now replaced this with an ABS type hard case with an attached lid.
- The public toilet block does not open until 7am on weekends.
- While shortwave radio is not my main area of interest I did notice some tree which would be suitable for stringing up an aerial for the shortwave bands.

Photos:

View from the car park

View from the lookout

View from the lookout

View from the lookout











Video:

video

No comments :

Post a Comment

}, 10);