Monday, 3 March 2014

Ultralight DXing Report - Brady’s Lookout, West Tamar Highway. Tasmania

Date: 02/03/2014
Time: 19:00 - 20:30 local
Location: Brady’s Lookout, West Tamar Highway. Tasmania
Radio: 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380
Total stations logged: 108
New stations logged: 0
Furthest station logged: 1386kHz - Radio Tarana. 2427km

Notes: Yesterday I had a couple of hours to spare around sunset so I planned a drive down to Brady’s lookout on the western bank of the tamer river, north of Launceston for an ultralight DXing session. Arriving just before 19:00 local with about an hour until sunset I set up at the top of the lookout and ran a check over the band. Most of my normal day time reception stations from Tasmania, Victoria and southern New South Wales were audible with this higher location and being away from domestic noise providing very good signal levels and very clear audio. I noticed that 7AD on 900kHz was coming in especially strong to the point where it was also audible on 909kHz which is one of my New Zealand check frequencies. After about 20 minutes my bottom was starting to get sore due to the hard wooden seat I was sitting on, due to this I decided to move down towards the BBQ area which has tables and more comfortable seats.

For the next hour I ran continuous checks of the band, noting which stations I was able to hear and I also spoke to a man who stopped to use the public toilets, he was very interested in what I was doing at that time of night with my radios set up. As the sunset and the final light of the day turned to dusk I got a boost in signals to my East / North East with 1386kHz - Radio Tarana taking the prize for the longest distance logged at 2427km. Radio NZ on 909kHz also breaking in enough to add it to the log. I noticed a number of stations from Victoria and NSW reach very good signal levels with 2RN (Goulburn) on 1098kHz running 200W being a surprise at the signal level I was able to receive it at.

With darkness setting in and after doing a final check of the band I packed up, very happy with the signal level of most of these stations I received and the simple relaxing pleasure of me, a pair of radios and a nice hill top as the sunset. As a side note I found that my new radio case (http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/new-radio-carry-case.html) worked very well and being able to easily carry everything in a single case was a huge benefit. My next portable session will be at a different location with the lessons from this session useful in planning for this.

Photos





The path to the top of the lookout


The view














A happy ultralight DXer :)









Video


No comments :

Post a Comment

}, 10);