Sunday, 9 March 2014

Ultralight DXing Report - Gees Lookout - 09/03/2014

Date: 09/03/2014
Time: 14:10 - 14:30 Local
Location: Gees Lookout - West Launceston
Radio: 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380
Total stations logged: 15
New stations logged: 0
Furthest station logged: 621kHz - 3RN. 445km

Notes: This afternoon I spent some time searching for Gees lookout which is a spot I had heard about in the past but which I had never personally visited until today. After driving around some side streets in West Launceston I parked in Argyle Street and walked in (see map below).

After taking a wrong turn and ending up going the wrong way I turned back and took the path back until I found the turn off with the lookout sign. The track down to this is very steep and I hurt my knee slightly on the way down. When I arrived at the lookout it was empty which gave me a good chance to take some photos and hit the band. Due to the metal construction of the lookout platform I was unable to set up my tripod and after a period of time my feet got sore from standing on it, for future visits I will bring something to stand on to help my feet.

From a radio point of view I logged 15 stations across Tasmania and Victoria. I was also able to prove my theory that this location blocks the HPON station on 1008kHz enough to hopefully of a night time be able to hear stations on the neighbouring frequencies of 999kHz and 1017kHz.  I also noticed that stations to my south were blocked very well with the signal levels of the Hobart stations being very low compared to normal.

The walk back up was a challenge due to the steepness of the climb and my sore knee. I had worked up a decent sweat by the time I got back to my car. Overall this was a very enjoyable session and it laid some good ground work for preparing for a night time session at this location in the future.


Photos

Map

View looking towards the first basin 

The gorge

Gees Lookout

Gees Lookout

No comments :

Post a Comment

}, 10);