Saturday, 22 March 2014

Ultralight DXing Report - Launceston Tasmania - 21/03/2014

Date: 21/03/2014            
Time: 22:10 - 22:55 local
Location: Home, Launceston Tasmania
Radio: 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380
Total stations logged: 124
New stations logged: 2 - 558kHz 6WA / 1269kHz 6RN
Furthest station logged: 1269kHz 6RN - Busselton (2916km)
Medium wave radio challenge 2014 Score: 240

Notes: Last night we had a 1.5 hour power outage at home due to a storm, this was just on darkness, just when I was about to start my ultralight dxing session. I did have a listen to the band while the power was off and noticed that the level of band noise was down on what I normally get, I did start to log some stations but gave up as the power came back on and I had to go to work to resolve an issue.

When I returned home I started again and managed to log 124 stations including two new ones from West Australia on 558kHz and 1269kHz. I did notice that the band noise was worse than normal and I can only put this down to the storm we were experiencing at the time. When I got to the top of the band between 1521kHz and 1557kHz I experienced a really strange situation where all I got was band noise, no stations at all including the 6 on these frequencies which I normally hear almost every night. I took a video of this and have added it to the video of my loggings below.

Overall it was a good session and the two new stations were both a surprise, 1269kHz 6RN from Busselton has broken my all time distance record and was very close to me breaking the 3000km mark for the first time. I have also including at the end of my video a short clip of my AR-1733 listening to the local airport ATIS service on 134.750MHz

Video:




No comments :

Post a Comment

}, 10);