Sunday, 23 March 2014

Ultralight DXing Report - Punchbowl Reserve - Launceston Tasmania

Date: 23/03/2014
Time: 8:10am - 9:10am Local
Location: Punchbowl Reserve, Launceston Tasmania
Radio: 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380
Total stations logged: 23
New stations logged: 0
Furthest station logged: 594kHz - 3WV (683km)
Medium wave radio challenge 2014 Score: 46

Notes: This morning my wife and I headed to the Punchbowl reserve which is a large public park / reserve which borders the suburbs of Punchbowl, Norwood and Newstead. The Punchbowl reserve has a large open area, a number of BBQs, a children’s playground, duck pond with viewing platform and a creek runs along the side of it. This is all surrounded by bushland with a number of walking tracks.  I grew up close to the Punchbowl reserve and have spent a lot of time in and around this area attending picnics and BBQs, walking in the bush, mountain biking and  playing cricket on the makeshift wicket. A couple of years ago when I was heavily involved in the photography hobby I took a lot of photos around this area too.

It was very early when we arrived and we were the only people around. My wife was taking some photos of the ducks and I was her able assistant by carrying her tripod. When we reached the bottom park area I setup on some large rocks to undertake some ultralight dxing while she went off to take some photos. Her photos can be found here: http://photosbysabrinaandco.blogspot.com.au/

From an ultralight dxing point of view I logged 23 stations including 3WV from Horsham at 683km which was the furthest station I logged. I received a good mix of Tasmania and Victorian stations with signal levels being very good given the location. We also walked up to the main waterfalls, from this location the same stations were received but at a weaker signal level in most cases, this is due to the cliffs that surround this location.

Photos

Map

Entry sign

Viewing platform at duck pond

Walking to my spot

Walking to my spot

My wife and I. My Portable Ultralight DXing kit in my backpack


Setting up for an Ultralight DXing session

Ultralight DXing

Ultralight DXing

Ultralight DXing

Packing up

 A happy Ultralight DXer after a successful session

Walking to the main falls


No comments :

Post a Comment

}, 10);