Sunday, 16 March 2014

Ultralight DXing Report - Round Hill, Burnie / Mersey Bluff, Devonport

Ultralight DXing Report - Round Hill, Burnie

Date: 15/03/2014
Time: Early afternoon
Location: Round Hill, Burnie Tasmania
Radio: 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380
Total stations logged: 29
New stations logged: 0
Furthest station logged: 810kHz - 2BA (Bega) 594km
Medium wave DXing Challenge 2014 Score: 58


Ultralight DXing Report - Mersey Bluff, Devonport

Date: 15/03/2014
Time: Mid afternoon
Location: Mersey Bluff, Devonport Tasmania
Radio: 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380
Total stations logged: 23
New stations logged: 0
Furthest station logged: 594kHz - 3WV (Horsham) 611km
Medium wave DXing Challenge 2014 Score: 46

Notes: My plan for yesterday (Saturday) was to do a smallish portable ultralight dxing session in the afternoon in the Trevallyn state reserve. During the week I had undertaken some research on the location using Google earth and had picked a couple of spots to check out.

Come yesterday morning my wife was not feeling very well, to give her some peace and quiet and a chance to rest up I decided to take the opportunity to put my plans for the Trevallyn state reserve on hold until another day and instead head for a drive to Devonport on the North West coast. As I left Launceston just after 9:30am it was a nice sunny day and I was looking forward to a nice drive and a good ultralight dxing session. As I left Elizabeth town (over half way to Devonport) the sky was turning dark and it was not long until the first drops of rain hit my windscreen, hoping it would just be a passing shower I kept driving.

By the time I arrived in Devonport the rain had really set in, not wanting to give up just yet I went and grabbed a drink and some lunch and did a bit of window shopping. As I left the shopping centre the weather was looking a little better so I headed up to Mersey Bluff which was my planned location for this session. The weather at the bluff was worse and after a couple of minutes I decided to instead head to Round hill lookout near Burnie which was only another 35 minutes away up the coast and try the bluff again on my drive back home.  

On the drive towards Burnie the weather was getting even worse and when I arrived at the turn off for the Round hill lookout the showers had tuned in to decent rain, at this point I was tempted to give up and drive home as clearly the weather gods were against me. Instead I headed in to Burnie to grab a snack and a drink; I also stopped at a retailer who was having a sale as I was looking for a new case / bag for my ultralight radios and related equipment.

As I walked back to my car the weather had started to clear up so I went straight to Round hill lookout. I had only been up there once before a few years ago but the road was still fairly good (gravel for the last section to the top) and when I arrived at the top another family group was just leaving. I setup at the main lookout and managed to log 29 stations and take some photos / videos before the rain started again. From the results of my loggings I suspect this would be an excellent location of a night time, the road is not closed of a night time and if required a tent could even be setup to protect against the weather. With this I packed up and head back towards Devonport.

The weather as I approached Devonport was looking better and the rain had cleared up by the time I pulled in to the car park at the top of the bluff near the light house. I setup on a well placed bench and logged 23 stations plus took some photos and videos until again the rain came. Again I think the bluff would make an excellent night time location with the only issue being that the road to the top is locked of a night time, it would require packing out on the road and walking up which would not be a huge issue. I retreated to the car and waited about 15 minutes but the rain showed no signs of stopping so I headed home to Launceston, the rain was my constant companion for the drive home.

At the end of the day when I arrived home 7.5 hours later, just before 5pm I had driven 322km for the day and having undertaken two ultralight dxing session 45km apart.

Photos

Round Hill - Burnie: View from the lookout

Round Hill - Burnie: View from the lookout

Round Hill - Burnie:

Round Hill - Burnie:

Round Hill - Burnie: Me :)

Round Hill - Burnie:

Round Hill - Burnie: Microwave linking site for Hydro Tasmania

Round Hill - Burnie: Don't get too close

Round Hill - Burnie: Main commercial / broadcasting tower

Round Hill - Burnie: Telstra Tower

Round Hill - Burnie: Mobile phone tower

Round Hill - Burnie:

Round Hill - Burnie: View from the top of the viewing building

Round Hill - Burnie: Main lookout platform

Round Hill - Burnie: view back towards the city of Burnie

Mersey Bluff - Devonport: Light House

Mersey Bluff - Devonport: Light House

Mersey Bluff - Devonport:

Mersey Bluff - Devonport:

Mersey Bluff - Devonport:

Mersey Bluff - Devonport: Me with the light house in the background

Mersey Bluff - Devonport: Portable Ultralight DXing Set up


Video






2 comments :

  1. nice selction of photos during your excursion between the raindrops Paul

    Good DX

    Allen Willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice selction of photos on your DXing excursion between the raindrops Paul

    ReplyDelete

}, 10);