Monday, 24 March 2014

Ultralight DXing Report - Tamar River Viewing Platform, Launceston Tasmania

Date: 24/03/2014
Time: 19:05 - 19:50
Location: Tamar River Viewing Platform, Launceston Tasmania
Radio: 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-380
Total stations logged: 92
New stations logged: 0
Furthest station logged: 1386kHz - Radio Tarana - Henderson, New Zealand - 2429km
Medium wave radio challenge 2014 Score: 258

Notes: A few weeks ago while out walking with my wife we came across a new viewing platform on the bank on the Tamar River, this is only a short walk from our house. At the moment I am without my car for a couple of days while it is being repaired so tonight just before sunset I set off for a walk to this viewing platform to see how well it works as a portable ultralight dxing location. The walk was nice and flat and with my new “stealth ultralight dxing bag” (more on this in the next few days) I strolled long and took some photos on the way. On arriving at the viewing platform another group was just leaving and this gave me free access to the viewing platform for the whole time I was there.

I set myself up and managed to log 92 stations from Tasmania, Victoria, ACT, New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia, my best catch was Radio Tarana from New Zealand on 1386kHz and I took a video of this. Just as I was leaving and darkness had really set in again tuned to this frequency however the signal was down in the noise and I could only rate this as poor. This location is away from the main road and domestic noise which means the signals I heard were all easy to copy and the band conditions were very good with very little back ground band noise.

This spot proved to be a good find and being within walking distance of home means I can use it more in the future.
I also left my tripod in my car so all photos and videos are hand held.

Photos
The view as I was walking to the location

Viewing platform

The view looking back towards the Launceston CBD





The viewing platform as I was leaving



Video

1 comment :

  1. Looks like a nice place Paul, Thanks for sharing your video of another of your DXing spots.

    ReplyDelete

}, 10);