Monday, 16 March 2015

New Zealand Stations - MIA?

A couple of weekends ago my wife, daughter and I spent a weekend down at St Helens on the east coast of Tasmania, (http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/ultralight-dxing-st-helens-2722015.html). At the time I reported that New Zealand stations were missing from the band, at the time I was not sure of the reason for this, at the time I had not been doing much "pure" DXing before hand, instead my focus had been my long term ultralight dxing project.

Over the past two weeks I have been checking the band for New Zealand stations at various times between just before my local sunset to just after my local sunrise, this has been at many different times during this period to make sure that local conditions were not causing any issues.

Sadly I have not been able to log any New Zealand stations at anything more than a very poor signal level, this is with both my 7.5" loop stick PL-380 and Digitech AR-1733. In the past both of these radios have produced much better results. At times even the basic AR-1733 has produced reliable results on 1386KHz. 

I doubt both my receivers would have developed faults at the same time and all my Australian results are comparable to "normal". I suspect a change at the transmitters end (doubtful for multiple stations) or RF atmospheric conditions are not allowing these stations to be received. I shall undertake more research and post more results as I log them.

No comments :

Post a Comment

}, 10);